Frequently Asked Questions
What is special about Oak Hill Elementary (OHE)?
Oak Hill Elementary exists to prepare each child for life, and challenges children to achieve their full potential. This is the school’s stated mission, and we use this statement as a guide in planning and teaching each child. Since 1974, this school has been serving the Oak Hill community with regard to each child’s uniqueness, respect for diversity, and a belief that we should foster a lifelong love of learning. Our community, our teachers, and our parents make Oak Hill Elementary the great school that it is today. We encourage you to become an integral part of the school to continue our 40-year tradition of excellence in education.
What are the school hours?
The school day at Oak Hill is from 7:40 a.m. to 3:10 p.m. Our building opens daily at 7:15 a.m. and students head to either the cafeteria for breakfast (until 7:30 a.m.) or the blacktop for morning recess. We have plenty of staff available to help guide you and/or your children to the appropriate spots. The Oak Hill School doors close at 7:50 a.m. and we ask all who arrive at that time or later, walk to the main entrance doors to follow our regular entrance procedures by ringing the doorbell and going to the office to sign in for a visitor’s badge before heading anywhere in our building. We realize this seems inconvenient, but it’s a required part of our safety plan. The school is required by state law and district policy to file truancy charges when students have excessive tardies (referred to as partial-day absences) and absences. Please communicate any attendance or tardy concerns to the front office, so staff can provide support, if needed.
What are my options for transportation?
Students can be transported by either: parent drop-off/pick-up, AISD buses, after-school program buses or day care buses. Your child’s teacher will ask you how your child will get home at the Meet the Teacher night. This information is essential so that your child will be placed in the correct area (bus, parent-pick up, etc) at dismissal time. If there is a change in how your child returns home from school, please write a note to the teacher informing him/her of the change. Students registered at OHE will receive a notification via parent email in August regarding bus pick up and drop off time and location. You can also check bus schedules and routes.
How are teachers chosen for the children?
For entering kindergartners, parents are encouraged to complete a form to help the school better understand your child (this form will be available at Kindergarten Orientation or through the OHE office). Children are placed with teachers using this parent input, with care to create well-balanced classes of children who may work and learn well together. For subsequent grades, children are placed in classes based on a combination of parent input and teacher feedback. The strengths and developmental opportunities of each child are also taken into consideration.
When will I find out who my child’s teacher will be?
Starting in 2018, Oak Hill stopped posting class lists due to privacy concerns. Once class rosters are finalized, our teachers will send out an email to the parents in their classroom. This will happen during the week leading up to school (and definitely before Meet the Teacher). Meet the Teacher is a great time to get to see who else will be in your child’s class.
How will I know my child is progressing?
On a weekly basis, teachers will send home documentation in your child’s ‘Take Home Folder’. This documentation not only talks about how your child is progressing with his/her lessons, but will also give you information about their behavior. Classroom events and needs are often included, too. AISD Parent Cloud is an online resource that allows you to track your child’s progress throughout the school year and reporting period. This free service is provided to all parents whose children are enrolled in AISD. Detailed report cards will be sent home every nine weeks. Each family will be invited (and is expected) to have a conference with their child’s teacher in the fall. In this conference, you will be given a full report on your child’s progress, and you will set goals for your child for the coming months. Another conference will be offered in the spring and is strongly encouraged if your child is having any difficulties.Parents and students are welcome to request a conference at ANY time, and we strongly encourage you to initiate a conversation with your child’s teacher whenever the need arises.
What is the dress code at OHE?
There is no school uniform at OHE. Students should wear clothing that is appropriate to the school setting, and is also suitable for PE and outdoor activities. Students work hard and play hard, participate in outdoor activities and run the track everyday. You can view the AISD dress code here: https://www.austinisd.org/family-support/dress-code
What is the discipline policy at OHE?
The goal in our discipline policy is to ensure an optimal learning environment for all students.
- We strive to develop confidence, self-control, and high expectations in each student.
- When challenging situations do occur (e.g., bullying), we discipline with dignity and provide natural consequences established in each class and grade level.
- Additionally, we recognize good student behavior through a variety of incentives (progress and reward charts, Eagle of the Day, weekly treasure box goodies, “Fun Fridays”, etc)
- All parents will receive the Oak Hill Code of Conduct and AISD Student Code of Conduct when school starts.
School supply lists will be posted on the school and PTA website in the spring and throughout the summer. While it’s nice for the teacher to have all supplies at the beginning of the year, please do not stress if there is something you cannot get. Oak Hill families may also order supply packages through the PTA. The PTA accepts orders in late spring for the upcoming school year, and supply packages are delivered directly to your child’s classroom. Information about ordering and deadlines will be distributed near the end of the school year.
Please note that school supplies are available to those that are in need. Please reach out to your teacher or counselors for help in getting these.
What types of after-school care programs are available at OHE?
OHE has two established after-school care programs:
- Extend-A-Care offers an after-school service on the OHE campus in which the children have time to work on homework, and are then engaged in a variety of games and learning activities.
- Side by Side Kids offers free, faith-based after school care. Children have time to work on homework, play games and engage in faith-based lessons.
- In addition, several local day care centers serve our school and offer pick-up service from OHE. The student services office has a complete list of those centers available.
How can I get more information about current events at OHE?
Weekly Campus Newsletter – Sent to your email address and by text each week, this online newsletter provides upcoming events and happenings from around OHE. Make sure your email and phone number are up to date in our student registration system.
Safe Snack List for Class, if you need ideas:
- Fresh Fruit and Vegetables– cleaned properly without cross contamination
- Applesauce cups
- Raisins, Craisins
- Pudding cups
- Pepperidge Farm Goldfish crackers (Sams Club, Costco)
- Cheez-It crackers (Sams Club, Costco)
- Chex Mix (Sams Club)
- Gardetto’s snack mix (Sams Club)
- Utz Pretzels or Royal Gold Plain Pretzels (NOT Snyders brand) (Sams Club, Costco)
- Austin Zoo Animal Crackers (Sams Club) or Barnum Animal Crackers –Triscuits, Wheat Thins, Ritz, Saltines
- Plain Cheerios
- Veggie straws/chips (Sams Club)
- Pirate’s Booty
- Kellogg’s Special K Pastry Crisps (Sams Club, Costco)
- Kellogg’s Nutrigrain Bars –Apple Cinnamon, Blueberry, Strawberry (Sams Club, Costco)
- Nabisco Honey Maid Grahams snacks
- Nabisco Teddy Grahams
- Annie’s Cheddar Bunnies or Bunny Grahams (Costco)
- Fruit Snacks – Mott’s Medleys, Welch’s, Kelloggs, YumEarth, Daily Chef (Sams Club, Costco)
- Kirkland’s Freeze dried fruit snack packs (Costco)
- Cliff Kid Organic Fruit Rope (Costco)